How to flatten object in Sketchup?
I designed this object part somewhere else in my project and it was not aligned to any axis. Now I try to get it flat on the "ground" so I can cut it properly with my CNC (through cambam).
I have 2 problems here that I can't figure how to fix:
- as you can see the blue "component" box around the object has a strange alignment. If i do "explode" and then recreate the component it is better but this is not a good solution.
- the bottom of the object may look like it is flat on the ground but it is not. If you pay attention you can see it going through the plane. I am struggling for a long time now with the rotate tool and i can't get it to have the proper alignment of one face to the XY plane.
I found an extension (Unwrap and Flatten Faces by alexschreyer) that do almost what I want but it only works for faces not object.
This is actually really easy.
- Place your camera in a side view
- Draw a straight line from one end of your object to another
- Take the rotate tool and click on one end of your object
- Then click on the other end and start dragging the object onto your straight line.
As for your first problem....you are stuck with explode and group or making it a component.