What are the different applications in Adobe Creative Suite for?
So, I have never really been into design beyond a few wireframes and paper-pen sketches and have now now bought David Kadavy's book, Design for Hackers and am getting into design a little bit.
I am going through Adobe Creative Suite CS6. It has so many different applications and I can't seem to make out what to use for what purpose. Which program is better for doing what?
Head over to Adobe.com and do a bit of reading regarding features.
- Photoshop = raster image editing (photographs) or digital painting (Illustration)
- Photoshop Extended = Same as Photoshop + ability to use some 3D tools and basic video editing
- Illustrator = Vector artwork (Logos, illustrations, etc.)
- Indesign = Page layout (books, manuals, brochures, etc.)
- Premier = Video editing
- Fireworks = Web editing and prototyping (will do both raster and vector but not geared for print work)
- Dreamweaver = HTML and web code layout and editing
- Audition = Sound editing
- Encore = DVD authoring
- Acrobat = PDF editing
- Flash = Dynamic web content (generally interactive video and audio)
- SpeedGrade = Video composite editing
- Prelude = File production logging tool
- After Effects = Video special effects and titling
What you use depends entirely on what any given project requires.