Missing fonts when exporting PDF from InDesign
I'm trying to export a PDF from InDesign and there are a few fonts
which are missing (they are replaced with another font). I don't have the fonts installed (in
Windows/Fonts), is this the issue? Do I have to install them? Somebody told me that InDesign is using the fonts from Windows.
Yes, if you're missing fonts you'll either have to install them or replace them. InDesign will warn you of missing fonts in a couple of ways:
- It'll highlight text in pink:
- You'll be warned when you attempt to export the PDF
- You can use the Find Font dialogue box under Type > Find Font. This will list all the fonts used in the document, and flag any that are missing.
Once you've established which fonts are missing, you can attempt to source them and install them on your system. Presumably the InDesign file was created on a different machine with different fonts: if you/someone else can open up the document again on the original machine and use the File > Package option, it will create a folder with the relevant font files, which you can then install.
If you can't source them, you can replace them with similar fonts using the Find Font dialogue:
- Missing fonts are marked with an yellow warning icon.
- To replace the font, click on the font name to select it, and then select a font to replace it with from the drop-down menu.
- You then have the option to change all the text throughout the document, or you you can use the find options to go through the document and change one occurrence at a time.