How do I make this image in image effect?
I am trying to get the following done in photoshop. I have 2 images both on 2 different layers. I have one on top of it and I am using the brush tool to sort of merge it with the bottom layer like shown in the examples but it doesn't seem to work in my case. What are these effects called? I would greatly appreciate any help with this.
An easier way than masks: using blends.
Here's how I would go about creating the first one:
- Grab yourself a picture of a cityscape. Make it greyscale if it isn't already.
- Next, grab yourself a picture of a bearded hipster with glasses. Convert to black and white or greyscale and up the brightness and contrast. I've also painted some white over some parts of the background to really only have the face in black.
- Put the picture of the bearded hipster on top of the cityscape. Now comes the magic touch: change the layer blend mode to Lighten. This ensures you only keep the light parts of your layer, so the black disappears and the cityscape comes
- Create a new layer with a color fill, or a nice gradient. Change this layer's blend mode to Color or Screen. Or play around with the blend modes until you find one you like.
- Enjoy your hipster poster to the max!
Pictures taken from
- Marcus Meisler: https://marcusmeisler.wordpress.com/tag/cityscape/
- Juan Luis: https://www.flickr.com/photos/juan-alogico/10935384913
The effect is commonly referred to (but wrongly named) as double exposure but this is merely just clipping an image based on a selection.
How this is done
Make a selection of your person with the Pen Tool (P) or however you're most comfortable selecting things.
Make a Layer Mask, Go to Layer -> Layer Mask -> Reveal Selection.
Paste a graphic image over the person layer.
CMD/CTRL + left click the thumbnail of the person mask to load the selection and create a layer mask for the graphic image.
Duplicate the person layer CMD/CTRL + J and place that layer on top. Set the blending mode the Screen.
Add an adjustment layer Curves or Levels and adjusted the image to add more contrast. Add a black and white adjustment layer.
Make sure there is a clipping mask between the adjustment layers and person layer.
Start brushing the layer mask of the second person layer with black to erase some of the details.
Add a gradient map.
Note: It is better to use an image with more detail and contrast. My image of someones back wasn't the best example...