how to curve text in an arc using gimp
I have a small tea company and I'm trying to redesign our logo.
What I would like is for the text to bend in a arc, as if on a coin.
I would like to render the text as if it's "backbone" were shaped in the following way:
Or even a "softer" (i.e. slightly flatter) arc.
Towards this end I've watched some tutorials online- I point them out below.
This tutorial is the most useful resource I've found thus far.
The general consensus is to use
Filters > Distorts > Curve Bend
but this makes the text very "fat" in the center and small on the sides.
People also mention
Map > Map Object >
But there isn't an arc, only a circle or a cylinder and these options also horribly distort the text.
Is there a good way, using Gimp, to render my text in a nice gentle arc- for instance to fit the ellipse I linked to from my site, or even a sharper arc, as if on a coin?
If your text is a text layer (preview replaced by a
T icon), then:
- Make a Path that follows the arc,
- Use Layer>Text along path (this menu is only available on text layers).
- This creates another path, which is your text following the arc path.
- Select>From path to create a selection from this
- Bucket-fill the selection.
Slightly complex, but the result is much sharper than with other methods There are however two drawbacks:
- The text is left-justified on the path when you usually want it centered
- Characters are slightly distorted
ofn-text-long-path script gives you many more options for formatting/positioning the text and uses a different method to create the characters to avoid distortion.