How to make certain area transparent in Illustrator
I have a rectangle with a grid pattern as fill:
Now I want the white part to be transparent so I can add a background image to it. I didn't find a way to do it. I know if you are in Photoshop you can use the quick selection tool but I am in Illustrator. So how do you do it in Illustrator? Thanks
- Drag your pattern out of the swatch panel
- Make white invisible (for some patterns this means you may need to make a new bounding box.)
- Drag the pattern back to the swatch panel.
- Either alt drag and overwrite the old pattern.
- Or make a new pattern and reapply.
Image 1: Timelapse of the process
Some closing thoughts. I wouldn't use a pattern for a grid there are several reasons for this but simply put it's not very efficient. In any case it should take no time to recreate the pattern form scratch.