Is there a way to draw mirror/symmetric shapes in Inkscape? To clarify, I am asking about mirroring the shape while I'm drawing it, not to draw it and then mirror in.
I saw some videos on YouTube but I can't find the corresponding options on my version of Inkscape (v0.91)
According to this Inkscape Forum entry the mirror path effect is included in a recent development release, but it is not (yet?) available from the current stable release.
We can however use a mirrored clone of an object with the same results:
The Live Path Effect (LPE) "Mirror symmetry", incorporated in Inkscape 0.92, is perfect for this. Short description here: 0.92 release notes, mirror symmetry. Demonstration video here: Mirror Simmetry LPE for Inkscape.
- select the path you want to mirror
- select in the Path menu the item Path Effects
- in the Path Effects dialog, click on the + sign (add an effect) and select Mirror symmetry
- choose the right mode in the Path Effects dialog (eg. Free from reflection line)
- by then selecting the node tool the reflection line appears, and its handles can be dragged