Placing text inside shapes
This may be a silly question but...
Im pretty new to Illustrator and I have the number 12 and i need to type text inside each number without it going outside the lines of the numbers. How do I do this? Thanks
If I understand your question correct, you want to write letters that are contained within a parent shape, such as a numerical character, the short answer is: use the Type Area Tool.
Here's how you do that:
1. Using the Type Tool, type your number character.
2. Choose Type > Create Outlines or press
Shift-Command-0/Shift-Ctrl-0. (If you want your number shape to remain as a background object in the end, make a duplicate of it now since the shape will disappear in step 5.)
3. Choose Object > Compound Path > Release. (Note: Type Area Tool won't work on compound or masking paths.)
4. Choose the Type Area Tool in the Tools Palette.
5. Click on the number shape and start typing. (Note: if you get a message complaining about non-compound, non-masking paths, try clicking on one of the anchor points.)