What are the symmetry-in-pair symbols usually appear in Wingdings fonts?


For example, in Wingdings font: image description

What are the symbols in boxes used for?

I have checked the wiki pages of Wingdings, List of symbols, Ampersand and Unicode/List of useful symbols, but I can't find what I want.

7/9/2018 2:59:00 AM

Accepted Answer

They're typographic ornaments. The Wikipedia article on fleurons offers a good explanation of their use.

A fleuron is a typographic element, or glyph, used either as a punctuation mark or as an ornament for typographic compositions. Fleurons are stylized forms of flowers or leaves. Robert Bringhurst in The Elements of Typographic Style calls the forms "horticultural dingbats." It is also known as a printers' flower, or more formally as an aldus leaf hedera leaf, or simply hedera (ivy leaf) symbol.

There are names assigned to all Wingdings symbols, here are the ones you've highlighted (one from each set for the sake of brevity):

  • budleafne budleafne
  • vineleafboldne vineleafboldne
  • Wingdings quiltsquare2 quiltsquare2
  • Wingdings leafccwsw leafccwsw

They are included in the Ornamental Dingbats Unicode block (PDF) and described slightly differently there.

4/13/2017 12:46:00 PM