Photoshop: X, Y, W, H


I'm addicted to using the X, Y, W, and H parameters in the upper right of the window in Illustrator . It makes precision layouts, resizes, and measurements trivially easy.

I understand you can get precision placement in Photoshop by putting a horizontal and vertical guide exactly where you want an object to snap to, but there are countless disadvantages to that method. Are the writable XYWH fields hidden somewhere in Photoshop as well? Or is there another way to put something at an exact spot, resize it to an exact size, or read off its exact dimensions as easily?

1/13/2012 12:13:00 PM

Accepted Answer

  1. Select the layer (or specific item using the appropriate selection method - i.e., lasso, marquee, etc.)
  2. Press "v" for the move tool. Or click on the move tool icon in the tool bar. Whatever makes you happier.
  3. Hit ctrl+t (or cmd+t is you're using a Windows version) or select Edit -> Free Transform (again, let your soul run free and pick the method that makes you all warm and fuzzy.)

The x,y,w, and h should be visible in the top left bar thusly:

enter image description here

1/13/2012 1:11:00 PM