How do small agencies collaborate?
How do small office or agencies use share resources, client files, and so forth effectively to collaborate? Do they use local network attached storage, Dropbox, Google Drive, or something else?
I am from South Africa and our internet is not very fast, so I am specifically looking for a local storage or network attached network attached storage (NAS) workflow.
How do you do it? What is the most popular way to do so?
I don't do much collaborating at my workplace (single in-house designer), but I still use BitTorrent Sync to sync design files across multiple devices; namely my NAS, dedicated server, and my primary machine.
I have also used it for collaborative projects in the past and have found it to be very convenient. Our network consisted of 5 machines for 3 people: 3 work machines, 1 NAS, and 1 dedicated server. The NAS and dedicated server served as "backbone" machines to help distribute files (especially the DS due to its higher network transfer speed).
BT Sync is particularly useful for projects (video in particular) where file sizes can be enormous. However, it is not a solution for everyone. It has its pros and cons.
- No storage restrictions (limited only by the amount of disk space available)
- Free (pro version with extra features available)
- Widely supported cross-platform
- No third party backup - the more devices you have in your network, the less likely this is to be an issue.
- No version control (though there is an archive folder for recently deleted files)
- Reliability - no central server
- Bandwidth - you'll use up extra traffic synching between multiple devices; moreso than if you used Dropbox or similar.
- Closed source