Technical name for the removal of an image background


Can someone remind me what the technical name is for the removal of a background from a still image?

Our photographer told me years ago, but I've since forgotten and it gets embarrassing!

11/9/2015 7:13:00 PM

Accepted Answer

The phrase I was looking for is 'deep-etching'.

Thanks for all the answers, guys.

12/19/2011 11:30:00 AM

Depending on the context and who you're talking to, this is referred to as "keying" (also referred to as Chroma Key), "matting" (mostly video), "masking" (you'll come across "clipping mask" as a term which is interchangeable with "mask" in most cases) or extraction. These are all names for the same general technique, which is the basis of Compositing.

Licensed under: CC-BY-SA with attribution
Not affiliated with: Stack Overflow