What do you call this type of top down, not really 3D, perspective?


It's not isometric, it's not one point, maybe top down?

I want to Google it and don't know how.

Thanks car

2/26/2015 6:57:00 PM

Accepted Answer

It's closest to a view called a three-quarters view, a type of axonometric projection, in between a side view and top down one. It's "[a] method of portraying three dimensional space in a two-dimensional plane ... [very] popular during the 16-bit era for JRPGs." source.

three-quarters view example

It's still used in games today because of the high performance and artistic draw.

The style is also part of a more broad category of 2.5D, which comes in many forms. For more guidance on types of projection, check out this article.

12/26/2017 11:38:00 AM

It's not truly perspective. It's an artistic interpretation of a 3D element, but not adhering to any mathematical perspective grid.

The closest to a true type perspective would be one point perspective.

It could also be considered foreshortening outside of the perspective context.