I would like to create a similar effect to this image in Photoshop. The aim is that the background and the effect colours can be changed as needed.
I only need the projection part of it, I don't need the cirlce at the bottom.
I mostly use vector programs and I'm not really good at Photoshop. I've tried to use the mesh fill tool in Corel draw X7 and the trace tools, but the result looks a little artificial.
You can do this fairly easily with two gradients and some masks.
- Black background
- New Layer
- Add white (reflected) gradient (Or whatever color you want)
Edit Free Transformto "pinch" one end to a point (Hold down Command/Ctrl+Option/Alt+Shift while you drag a top corner handle.)
- Duplicate the gradient layer
- Add a layer Mask to the duplicate
- On the mask choose
Filter > Render > Fibers(use whatever settings you want. more dark areas make the "lasers" seem spaced out more.)
- Free Transform the masked layer the same way
- Reduce the opacity of the "fibers" layer until you are happy
- Add both gradients to a new Layer Group
- Add a mask to the group
- Add a gradient on the group mask to hide the bottom portion.
You could refine further by motion blurring the fiber mask vertically, or using Levels/Curves to increase/reduce contrast of the mask, or applying separate masks to the gradient layers to control how much is hidden at the bottom.