What is this two color photo effect called and how to make it?


I like the effect on the images used on this Spotify page, and out of curiosity I'm trying to replicate it in Illustrator. It's not a simple multiply mask, and seems a more involved than the kind of duotone I can do in inDesign.

enter image description here

12/5/2014 3:40:00 PM

Accepted Answer

On paper, they'd be high-contrast duotones. Or, possibly monotones printed on colored paper with opaque inks (such as via screen printing).

Possible other ways to describe the effect would include:

  • photocopy (tends to be high contrast, one color)
  • halftone (not really a style shown here on screen at this size, but part of the aesthetic ala newspapers)
  • posterization (this isn't really that, though some might call it that. Posterization tends to be much higher contrast than what is shown here)
12/4/2014 5:37:00 PM

Make a greyscale image, save as either a JPG or TIFF (doesn't work with EPSs) and import into InDesign. Colour the box as usual, and use the direct selection arrow to colour the image.