What are some differences between Scribus and Indesign?
I recently heard that scribus is a good free alternative option to Indesign. I recently opened Scribus up, and none of it makes any sense, and it doesn't look like it'd be a good fit for what I want to do. What are some pros and cons for each?
I'd say if you're just starting out without having existing InDesign files, and customers/colleagues working with InDesign, Scribus could be good. But for more serious work, you run into its limitations pretty quick.
- Available for Linux and other OS's
- With that, you can theoretically collaborate with anyone
Scribus major cons:
- Much less advanced typography capabilites
- Lacking documentation and community/knowledgebase is much smaller
- Cumbersome and rather slow UI
- Can't open or write INDD files
- Doesn't support Pantone colors
- Requires scripts to do many things InDesign does natively, like Data Merge