Warped distortion effect


What's the best way to achieve an effect like this cover? enter image description here

I was thinking to basically start with random grayscale rectangles, a layer of thinner rectangles set to multiply, and then somehow warp it? Does anybody have a way to warp it and have it not look stupid and/or simply a more efficient way?

9/10/2014 12:10:00 AM

I'd just go with the classic move-picture-around-on-a-photocopier trick. Google "photocopier distort" as that's basically what this is. I don't think it's really worth the effort of trying to fudge it in Photoshop when it's so fun and easy to do it properly. A computer scanner would also work but it'll never give the rough quality that an old black and white photocopier will though.

If you really want a Photoshop only method then Filter > Distort > Shear... is probably your best friend. You have to rotate the image to do it different directions.

I took my image from the newspaper photo thing yesterday (How to make scanned newspaper effect?) and messed around with the Shear tool and a little bit of the other distort options to make the following image. I also found Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask... was nice to finish it off.

Here are a couple random variations:

enter image description here

enter image description here

Still no where near as good (or as fun) as doing it properly! I don't have a photocopier within reach of my bed though sorry!

4/13/2017 12:46:00 PM