How do you create a translucent white background for text?
I am really struggling to create a white translucent background for text on top of an image with GIMP.
Pottery Barn Kids (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/) has one example of what I am trying to achieve, shown below for future reference:
(Note the text along the left side â€“ GIRL ROOMS, BOY ROOMS etc.)
Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do this? Thanks!
FYI: I don't believe any sort of translucent effect is occurring there. It looks to me like a simple white box is placed over the image and under the text at ~75% opacity.
To achieve an actual translucent effect, do the above but also select the area of the image covered by the box and apply a blur to it at whatever settings you find appealing.
A straightforward way to do this is:
- Start with the base image (in its default layer).
- Add a new layer (with Layer Fill Type "Transparency"), and make sure it is selected.
- Set the foreground color to white.
- Select and fill the rectangle you want with the foreground color (white).
- Set the 2nd layer's opacity to 75%.
- Set the foreground color to black.
- Add the (black) text you want over the semi-see-through white rectangle.
Here is an example I created following these steps:
Little variations from these exact steps will come up getting exactly what you want, but this should give you the basic "Pottery Barn" effect to start.
In case it is clearer to see the undo history for my stab at a solution (using GIMP 2.8), here it is: