How to Create a Torn Page Effect in Photoshop?


I saw an image as the 404 error in CSS Tricks, and I wondered how to create such an effect in Photoshop.

torn paper

5/10/2013 8:06:00 PM

Accepted Answer

That image is a combination of torn paper and page curl. has excellent tutorials for both components:

7/25/2011 2:39:00 PM

We actually use the same effect for the 404 and error page images on this very site.

error 404

I tried the Photoshop way first, but I was never satisfied with the results. The problem I faced was not the end results didn't look good(in that faux way), but because they just didn't look "real." So what I ended up doing was taking a photo of the actual paper torn and cleaned up in Photoshop. It was so much more painless. Since papers are accessible to everyone, I recommend simply staging the paper the way you want it and photo/scan it in Photoshop.

The image you linked from CSS Tricks looks like a scanned photo to me, with artificial cast shadow.