how to create rounded ribbon effect in photoshop


I have already done everything else (like shadow,gradient), but now I'm just stuck at one step.

How can I bend the rectangle (pointed with arrows) to get this rounded ribbon effect:

enter image description here

7/24/2011 10:26:00 AM

Accepted Answer

I think to create that shape you are to use the Pen Tool and just draw the custom shape: outline with Pen Tool

And after that just add Gradients : gradients

7/23/2011 11:29:00 AM

Like @Flavius recommended, the shape is best to be drawn as a vector. In his answer, he used the pen tool, but you could use the normal rectangle shape tool and then warp the shape.

After selecting the shape layer you want to modify (in this example the rectangle), choose EditTransform [path]Warp. Or you could click on the warp button from the toolbar while you're Free transforming the layer:

warp button

Then you could either use (and modify) some pre-set warps…

warp options

… or just warp as you wish with the new warp handles your layer has:

custom warping

For the best quality it is recommended to use vector graphics (pen tool, paths, shapes, …), but you can use the warp tool with your raster graphics as well.