How to convert to path (Illustrator CS5)
I have a PDF (exported from CAD) that I am working with in Illustrator CS5. Lines in the PDF are made of triangles, and I would like to convert the lines to be a single stroked path. What is the best way to do that using Illustrator?
This is not a one step process, and it may not work in all cases, but it will get the job done in a pinch:
- Start with your sliced up artwork
- Pathfinder > Unite
- Release the resulting Compound Path
- Paint the inner path a different color
- Use the "old school" Blend Tool, and set its Spacing to Specified Steps of 1
- Expand the Blend
- Delete the inner and outer paths.
- You're left with a close approximation of the center
Here is what it looks like. It seems like more work than it actually is: