How to draw attention to a specific area of a design?
What are the best practices for drawing attention to specific parts of a design?
11/22/2013 2:30:00 PM
Here are some ways you can draw attention, roughly from the least subtle to the most:
- Movement - While effective, this should be used sparingly because it can grow distracting and annoying.
- Size - If a design element is larger than everything else, it will stand out.
- Color - Any deviation from the background colors or other colors used throughout the design will draw the eye.
- Contrast - A dark object on a light background will stand out. You should also consider logical contrasts in your subject matter, such as the following list: apple, orange, pear, bicycle.
- Text/Copy - Certain words draw the eye: Free, Secret, etc.
- Whitespace - Giving a design object enough whitespace around it will help differentiate it.
- Guiding the eye along a path - This can be as subtle as the direction a person's eyes are looking in a photograph or as blatant as an arrow.
1/4/2011 9:58:00 PM