What font and characters are used for the "line break" symbol used in Microsoft Word


I am wondering which is the symbol used to denote line breaks in Microsoft Word. It can be visualized with the following steps:

  1. In MS Word, open empty document.
  2. Press SHIFT + ENTER to insert a line break.
  3. Press CTRL + SHIFT + 8 to show the formatting symbols in the editor.

Here is a picture of the symbol:enter image description here
The closest I can find in the Unicode tables is the Carriage return symbol (↵), but it doesn't look the same in any of the fonts installed on my machine.

10/23/2013 3:03:00 PM

Accepted Answer

This is a guess, but I'd say it's not part of any font (or at least, any font you'd want to use).

Here is a super-zoomed-in view:

zoomed-in carriage return

It's either some kind of bitmap font, or an image sprite. Modern fonts (post-Windows 95 anyways) don't typically look like that anymore.

Here's another thing to consider:

carriage return, tab, and pilcrows

I jacked the font size up and played with changing the font. The pilcrows change size and face as you adjust the type but the tab and carriage returns do not.

So, again, I'd guess it's some kind of system-level sprite sort of thing. But I am not by any means a Windows expert.

10/23/2013 6:49:00 PM