How to transform a pixel image in vector logo in Inkscape?
I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I would like to know how to transform a pixel image I've made into a vector logo ?
I use this picture for my favicon of my personal web site. And if you have any software recommendations, I work on mac. I prefer use an open source one.
This powerful vector graphics application is free, cross-platform, and Open Source. It comes with an inbuilt function to trace vector graphics from bitmaps.
These are the steps involved:
- File - Import...: choose to "embed" the bitmap.
- Select the embedded bitmap.
Choose Path -Trace Bitmap.... This will open the following dialog:
Make the following settings for preserving the pixelated square box appearance in the Mode, and in the Options tabs:
- Tick Colors.
11Scans for the 11 colors of your source image.
- Tick Stack scans to have one object per color stacked above one another.
- Untick Smooth corners and Optimize paths for resulting square boxes.
- Click on Update for a preview, OK for tracing the bitmap.
- Move the vector graphic next to the bitmap for comparing the result (here the selected vector trace is on the right side):
- Copy the vector object to a new drawing and save in a file format of your choice.
This guide will not lead to the desired result of a pixelated vector graphic when working on a very small icon source. To still get the pixelated effect on tracing we have to first upscale the icon before importing to Inkscape.