How do you call "Charte Graphique" in English?


This is not really a translation question - more of a designer vocabulary.

How do you call the set of visuals, logos, designs, colors, fonts... that make a whole design project? In French we would call it "Charte Graphique", and I've seen some translate it to "Graphic Charter" but I think this is just a google translate translation.

Is there a word to describe this?

4/21/2013 1:01:00 PM

Accepted Answer

I usually use Visual Identity, which in french is Identité visuelle, another word for Charte graphique.

4/21/2013 8:33:00 PM

I have not seen what would be considered an "official" term for this, but I would use either "design standards" or "design guidelines"*.

I often use this sort of thing when working with larger companies. If you're dealing with a brand, it has a few other names. Off the top of my head, "corporate identity", "brand identity", "branding guidelines", and "graphic identity" are a few that are common.

Some examples:

* While searching for examples of "design guidelines", it appears this is used more for architectural purposes, so perhaps that isn't the best choice.