What is the GUI style called that is commonly used in sci-fi media?


What do you call the style, trend or design commonly used by bodies mentioned in the title? I always see these designs in sci-fi movies and dashboards used by FBI or CIA. Do you know any toolkit using it?


enter image description here

enter image description here

7/5/2018 4:17:00 PM

These types if Ui designs are commonly created using Adobe Illustrator and then brought into Adobe After Effects for creating the video portion of the elements making them appear "in use". I don't know that they have a particular term or designation in regards to a theme.

They are in fact static short film clips and never truly functional UIs. Directors and film makers can not afford to have an actor mess up a simple UI task. So the UIs are added to the actor mimicking motions in post production.

Here is a link to a PDF from Adobe explaining the processes for the Iron Man UI.

If you have evidence that such UI designs are actually used in real life, I'd be interested to see that. As far as I'm aware, they are always fictional.

3/26/2013 9:23:00 AM