How to produce a blurred abstract (frosted glass) background like this?


I have been seeing these blurred backgrounds all over the place, so I would like to know the exact steps how to reproduce something like this . What I can imagine, is that they first blurred an image/gradient with a gaussian blur. But there has to be something more to it, right ?

enter image description here

+) How do I correctly use a gradient instead of a picture?

1/21/2014 4:28:00 AM

Accepted Answer

I created a similar effect with the Gaussian Blur tool in Photoshop set to a 60 px radius.

enter image description here enter image description here

Of course, you can do this with any photo where you like the color shifts, your sample reminded me of a beach, so I found a beach photo on Wikimedia.

Another way you can do it is by creating the shapes you want and then applying a Gaussian blur to them:

enter image description here enter image description here

1/30/2013 6:51:00 PM

One method: you can shoot a photo with your mobile camera behind frosted glass.

Another: make your DSLR camera lens out of focus sufficiently in your viewfinder and shoot.