Scattered Pixel Effect in Photoshop?


I'm trying to learn how to create a scattered pixel effect in Photoshop. I know how to create pixelated graphics. But i'd like to know how to create an effect where the pixels are scattered. Similar to this photo.

enter image description here

11/26/2012 10:12:00 PM

I was able to achieve something similar, try the following:

Click the screenshots for full resolution

Create a new document with relatively small dimensions.

New Document dialog

Select the Pen tool, change the size to 1px

pen tool

Edit the Brush settings (Window → Brush) for Spacing

I set Spacing at 750%

Brush settings

Edit the Brush settings for Scattering

I set Scatter at 1000% and Count Jitter at 100%.

Brush settings

Edit the Color Dynamics for the Brush settings

This is a "play around with the settings and see what works" step. I changed the saturation and brightness to 92% and 61% respectively.

Brush settings

With the color you want the pixels to be selected, scribble around the document.

The result will be randomly scattered pixels.


Enlarge the image using Nearest Neighbor enlargement to preserve the hard edges.


8/15/2013 5:20:00 PM