How to split into multiple layers when you've accidentally drawn two layers worth of material onto one layer?
I drew two separate objects in Photoshop that are meant to be on different layers, but I drew them on the same layer. They do not overlap right now, but I can't seem to figure out how to separate them. How can I do that?
edit I've added an image to show what I mean. I have two grids I've constructed and both are on the same layer. I meant for them to be on separate layers.
The image is here:
What you can do here is:
- First duplicate the layer by pressing CTRL+J
- Then use the mark tool (M) and mark the object you don't want on your first layer and hit CTRL+X
- Go to your second layer and repeat, just with the other object.
Now you should have two layers with a single object on them both.
There's an even faster method,
- Select what you want on a separate layer with your favorite marquee or lasso tool
- Right-click it and select "Layer Via Cut"