How to change a google map into something similar to the poster background?
How do I change a google map into something similar to the map in the 1st poster? How do I change it to blue and also include shadows?
You can do these steps in Photoshop:
- Find a texture for map/paper that suits your need. In my example I am using the following texture: http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/2205516/2/stock-photo-2205516-ancient-map-texture.jpg
These has a license that can be purchased if you need to use it commercially.
- In Photoshop, load the map and texture into two different layers and use Multiply on the top layer:
That will give you something like this:
At this stage you might want to consider extending/cloning edges and so forth depending on the usage.
- Flatten the two layers and convert the image into a "3D Postcard" (Photoshop CS5+ extended):
- Rotate as needed (use the camera rotate tool).
- Then add a spot-light to the scene, place it where you need it and set colors for scene and the light.
- You want to turn down ambient light pretty much almost to the bottom. Also give it a blue hue:
- Then set the light color - also adjust hotspot, softness and intensity to achieve best results.
This will result in something like this - not identical, but to show the steps in one approach to achieve this type of look: